Friday, October 22, 2010

Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar walking offstage

Bill O'Reilly on The View
Bill O'Reilly said, "Muslims killed us on 9/11," among other incendiary and misleading statements in the conversation. When corrected, that it was not people practicing Islam, but terrorists who misappropriated Islam, who committed a horrific crime against humanity, he would not concede. I think it was absolutely appropriate for Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar to walk off stage. Barbara Walters said something along the lines of, 'if you invite someone into your home and they offend you, you don't walk away.' I think, instead, you would politely ask the person to leave.
I suppose having BO'R as a guest on the View is simply a way to demonstrate some "fairness" in airing differing views or more likely an easy way to create drama, which creates viewership on national television. I think if I were JB or WG, I would plan to be off the day BO'R was going to be a guest. He so completely out of touch with reality, while being a master at antagonizing and incendiary statements, I would have a hard time engaging in a conversation with him. I could, however, have a conversation with someone who was ignorant and bigoted, but open to suggestion regarding Islam and Islamism.
It's always a challenge to converse with someone on an emotional topic with whom you disagree. But, as Barbara Walters said, it should be, and must be done. I do not think BO'R is the person with whom any rational person could begin that dialogue.

No comments: