Thursday, January 05, 2006

Don't read this if you haven't seen Brokeback Mountain

I just saw it. It was very good. Very sad! Ugh. People had told me how sad it was, but I didn't know it was going to be that sad. Both actors were very good. Heath Leger's accent was awesome the way it sometimes carried an Australian lilt in the twang. Sheesh. So sad. I can't get over it. I was just going to see some mano y mano, I didn't know it would come at such a tragic price. I want to read the short story. I have heard it was based on a true story. Ugh.
I remember when Matthew Sheppard was murdered in Wyoming. It is very difficult for me to believe that that can happen in the world we live in. I am in such an insulated bubble. I don't know what to do to change it. I guess start by being vocal against intolerance. I am extremely intolerant of people who are intolerant. I think this is totally justified. Maybe I am wrong. It seems as though there is an absolute good and many of us know what it is, but many of us do not. I think that 90% of people in the world could agree on this, could they not? I guess not, because the US is divided 30/70 about the war, still, correct? The fact that George Bush could be elected 2x in the US baffles me. I guess we cannot agree. The fact that the state I live in just passed a law that limits civil rights of some of its citizens baffles me. And we are one of several states. How can this be 2006? I guess what not to do is crawl in a hole and bemoan how bad things are. The thing to do is try to change intolerance, one intolerant person at a time. Can we round them up and send them to tolerance camps?

No comments: